Sunday, May 16, 2010

First writing rite

This blog is dedicated to writing and thinking. I will try to write clearly and exactly. I will try to be imaginative and thoughtful.

First question: Is it possible to be an American and not be political? Can the citizen of a country founded on political opposition not think politically about what is advantageous or detrimental to his or her existence? I do not think of myself as a political person. I am generally skeptical of politicians, who have disappointed me many times. Yet, I find myself arguing with others about social and political ideas. I vote, a form of political expression. I donate funds, a form of political activity. I remember the line from the movie The Godfather, "Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in." Can an American ever separate from politics, or are we inveterately political?

No comments:

Post a Comment