Sunday, June 13, 2010

the end of romance





THE GOLDEN MOMENT OF FOREVER

She--
hair
emblazoned by the sun,
dress,
damp, warm, clinging,
swirling about
expectant legs--

He--
bronzed
by nature, a protective,
a mover and a shaker--

Pulsing
with breathless
ardor,
come together
through a meadow in which
the sun's rays
spray
daffodils and daisies
with a haloed light,
and a kaleidoscopic swirl
engulfs
them in
 one
Golden Moment
that              
   lasts   
                        forever--
once
upon
a
time.

1977



I wrote this poem after my second marriage ended.  I had had enough of romance and love and unrealistic commitments.  After two marriages and three children, none of whom I would get to raise or even be around as they grew, I had had enough of the false promises of love.  For me elusive, illusory romantic attraction had turned out to be just another of the Monsters in a Half-Way House (1981).

No comments:

Post a Comment