Friday, December 3, 2010

Buck must find two college students Ch.18

Scotty's plan to supress Beanland and the guards
while freeing the boys if they are in the second shed.
ENCOMIENDA


Chapter 18



I woke around seven. Scotty was dressed and sitting at the table, looking at the map of Beanland’s compound. I struggled out of bed and staggered into the bathroom, drained my bladder, washed my face, combed my hair and went and sat at the table. I poured myself a cup of coffee from the pot that Scotty had already made. I took a long sip and let the caffeine work.

Scotty said, “Good morning, Bucky.”

I said, “Morning. How long you been up?”

“I’ve been up and down. Got Mario and Joe off at 4:30. Got some more winks and awakened at 6:30.”

I pointed at the map. “Got any ideas?”

“Yes, first I think you ought to get dressed, and then we should get some breakfast.”

We had eggs and sausage in the motel restaurant – and more coffee.

After a few bites, I said, “Based on what we learned last night, do you think the boys are there?”

“I do. It’s very possible that they could be in the far shed – either drugged or bound. I don’t think they’re in the cabins. That or they’re already dead.”

“I agree. Your guys were very thorough. If the boys were in a cabin, I think they would’ve revealed themselves in some way last night. I think the boys are in real danger. Beanland will be extremely nervous now because of both the police visit and the Rottweilers’ disappearance. Whatever we’re going to do, we should do it as soon as possible.”

“My feelings exactly. Beanland has six effectives, counting the cook’s wife. We’ve got six. I think we should bring our heavy artillery. If we surprise them after ten o’clock, four of us can keep them in their trailers and handle the dogs while two can neutralize their heavy weapons and free the boys. In fact, I drew this while you were sleeping.” He showed me his proposed plan of attack.
“See. This gives four of us with assault rifles fields of fire to cover all the trailers while two of us break into the sheds. The two northern riflemen have primary responsibilities of suppressing the cook and custodian and guarding against any loose dogs. The southern two riflemen will suppress the guards and Beanland. Notice that the most dangerous opponent Beanland is covered front and back by all four riflemen. Also, none of the riflemen are in direct line of fire from any of the others. The two mobile men can then split so that one can destroy the weapons in the first shed and the second one can get the boys out of the second shed. We know that none of the enemy has anything more than pistols and shotguns inside his trailer. And with night-vision goggles, our supremacy is assured.”

I was impressed. The plan would work as long as all of us got into the compound undetected, and all that required was heavy chain cutters, which Scotty had brought. I said, “It’s wonderful to have you with me, Scotty. This is a terrific plan.”

“I figure that from the time we enter the compound until we leave will be no more than fifteen minutes.”

“What does the oval represent?”

“That’s where the vehicles are parked. One rifleman would be behind the vehicle closest to the trailers.”

“What do you think of hitting it during the day when only one guard will be there, probably Cocker?”

“We could try that today with the four we have. Of course, the chance of surprise will be less than at night.”

“What if the boys aren’t there?”

“Then we would’ve shown our cards, which would put the boys in greater jeopardy.”

“Damn, if only we had proof they were there, we could call Suarez and let the police take it.”

“There’s one thing you haven’t considered.”

“What’s that?”

By the way Scotty smiled his crooked half-smile, I knew he was being reasonable while knowing I wouldn’t accept his proposal. “Confront Beanland. Negotiate. Offer to just take the boys and walk away.”

“I don’t think he’d go for it. He knows he’d be up for kidnapping charges at a minimum. And who knows what else will be discovered once an investigation starts. I think his reaction to confrontation would be to strike out like an animal and get rid of any evidence.”

“Then we’ll have to wait for Mario’s and Joe’s reports.”

“How did you split them?”

“Joe is in the jeep, tracking the buses and observing the workers in the field. Mario has made an eagle’s nest and is plotting the activities at the compound.”

“Ok, let’s wait.”

Waiting is the hardest part of stake-out operations, especially if I am not out there myself. However, Scotty was right. My Z3 would stand out like a belly dancer in a blue collar bar. If Beanland saw me or my vehicle, he would be immediately on alert and the situation would become very dangerous.

End of Chapter 18
 
Migrant camps usually have small cabins with minimal facilities.  Toilets and showers are often in communal buildings.  I once taught a migrant Mexican girl Maria who had polio.  She lived in a one-room cabin with her mother and father and ten brothers and sisters.  At night they would spread mattresses over the cabin floor for all to sleep on.  During the day, the mattresses were stacked so they could cook and eat on the floor.  Since Maria was disabled, she was the only one who didn't have to go to the fields, so she stayed in school, graduated from high school with a B+ average and went to college.  Her disability turned out to be a secret advantage for a migrant child.  I wrote a poem about her:
 
Polio Scholar
 
Maria lived in a shack,
Twelve siblings back to back.
At night they spread;
During day they stacked.
What I want to know is this:
Where did she,
When did she,
How did she,
Study?
 
1977-2010
 
Below are items related to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment