Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Diabetic type 1


25.



June, you made me stop
Eating sweets before I had
Truly begun. Why did you
Get the disease when I skipped
Free like a lucky kid goat?

Note: The reader may recall that my sister had been extremely ill during the crossing of the Pacific Ocean.  Eight months after our family had arrived in Japan, she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.  New evidence indicates that a traumatic event can ignite diabetes if one has the genetic disposition for it.  I believe now that the extreme seasickness that she experienced for those several weeks was the trigger that set off the disease. As a precaution, I underwent the same tests, but I had not contracted the disease (nor had I experienced the seasickness that my sister had).
 
My grandson has type 1 diabetes, and he was diagnosed with it subsequent to the divorce of his mother and father.  Could extreme emotional distress trigger the disease?

No comments:

Post a Comment