Sunday, June 19, 2011

If a computer could spiritually versify


THE COMPUTER’S PSALM



Science is my guardian; I shall not want.


It maketh me to store in silicon chips:
   It leadeth me beside mute energy.


It restoreth my batteries:
   It leadeth me in the paths of binary truth 
   For its name’s sake.


Yea, though I pulse through the data
   Of dwindling resources,
   I will fear no failure: for thou art with me.
   Thy log and thy staff they comfort me.


Thou preparest a program before me in the presence
   Of regulators: thou anointest my gears
   With oil; my tapes filleth up.


Surely exactness and speed will qualify me
   All the days of my life, and I
   Will dwell in the house of science
   Forever . . . forever . . . forever.



9/1981


"The Computer’s Psalm" was read at a meeting of the Tampa Bay poets and was first published in Monsters in a Half-way House, 1981.  One should read it with a mechanical/electronic voice to increase its impact and humor.  Of course, it follows the pattern of the King James version of Psalm 23.

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.


2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

The persona is the computer itself, reliant on scientists and science to keep it functioning and running data, but the last line exposes the unreliability of machines that can develop glitches.
 
Below are items related to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment