Friday, June 3, 2011

Putkwz, Ch.14, "Sobimeer"



13



Sobimeer



When I awoke after my nap, I found the ship already in motion. I showered, changed into my ambassador’s uniform and called Mawgri’s communicator. He was in the communications room and asked me to come there.

“Where are we heading now?” I asked him after I sat next to him where he was directing the video screen.

“Sobimeer. I’m glad you dressed appropriately, for we will meet with King Vingki.”

“What is our approach?”

“Praise his military for holding strong and fighting back, encourage him to promote education and democracy. Meanwhile, my ships will be delivering military supplies. But, here, look at these sights. This is off the southern coast of Sobimeer.”

I could see the rounded coast and, in the sea miles away, a fleet. Mawgri zoomed in and I saw the fleet was the one from Kunwyz: the seaplane tenders, tankers and freighters inside a circle of cruisers and destroyers. It had sailed south after its last attack, rounded the Great Reef, left the Foaming Sea and settled off Sobimeer to give the new ally support. An armada of long-range, four-engine seaplane bombers was heading inland on a bombing run to Ladimeer.

I said, “Deft maneuver. The admiral knows what he is doing.”

“The best he could do with what he’s got. Now look at this.” Mawgri typed new parameters into the digital screen and the view changed to the western coastline of Radimeer. Flames and smoke rose above two coastal cities.

“This is Radimeer?” I asked since no other western coastline could have been attacked.

“Yes, The Saca battle fleet finally caught up with Radimeer’s invasion fleet along the coast and inflicted serious damage to Radimeer’s fleet and to installations at two main naval and air stations. Then last night after refueling on Milisaca, a heavy bomber fleet attacked the capital. The emperor has gone into hiding. We don’t know if he’s in a bunker in the city or has fled to the countryside. Furthermore, Kunwyz’s and Saca’s submarines have formed a cordon along the Radimeen shipping lanes and are sinking any ship that ventures out.”

“Sounds like Radimeer made few preparations for defense. The generals and admirals must have been sure their offense would succeed.”

“More likely they were desperate and knew that the odds would worsen the longer they waited to attack.”

“Where’s the fleet now?”

“Heading this way. Tomorrow it should be off the southern coast of Polimeer Island.”

“So both allies are reinforced.”

“Yes, and getting supplies and equipment. In fact, part of our mission is to deliver supplies. The entire cargo fleet will be landing. My guess is that Saca will set up bomber fleets in both Polimeer and Sobimeer to give Radimeer’s military a good pounding.”

He turned the screen off, and we both returned to our quarters to groom ourselves to be presented to the king.

After another gentle landing, we were driven in a long, black car to the king’s chateau. Luvark rode shotgun, acting as our bodyguard. All along the route, Mawgri’s silver oblong freighters were moored and dispensing equipment and supplies. I could see that some of the items were Saca’s fast propeller fighters with stacks of ammunition.

We were let out at the end of a long asphalt drive in front of a brown and yellow chateau and led by armed guards into the foyer (where Luvark had to remain), from which a secretary led Mawgri and me into the anteroom in which sat King Vingki, a rotund white-and-orange scaled Putkur, whose eyes showed both concern and pride. The king was dressed in a red body suit and wore a blue cape; on his head was not a crown, but a blue floppy hat resembling a beret. We bowed, and the king said, “Welcome, Za Mawgri and Za Malcolm. Have you heard the latest?”

Mawgri said, “That Radimeer has been attacked and the emperor is in hiding?”

“More importantly, we have gotten information that there are general riots and rebellions throughout Radimeer, that minority troops are deserting with their weapons and joining the rebels.”

“That is good news. You can take some credit, Your Majesty: your troops stood strong and gave the Ladimeen a bloody nose.”

The king’s chest swelled. “That we did. Our people filled the battle lines. We were determined that no army would enter the pass. But, my friend King Golmon did well, too. His continental territory was overrun, but the island of Polimeer wouldn’t surrender.”

“Yes, both kingdoms did well.”

Then King Vingki told us to sit, and he had refreshments brought. After we were seated, he leaned forward and said, “Of course, we all know who the big lizards are. If Kunwyz and Saca had not beaten Radimeer back, I’m afraid that Sobimeer and Polimeer would soon have been just another part of the Radimeer Empire.”

Mawgri said, “Since you brought that up, let me ask you why you think Kunwyz and Saca have become so powerful and their technology has advanced so far.”

The king smiled indulgently, “I know what you want me to say because you have said it before. Their people have been empowered and are contributing more to the society.”

Mawgri smiled back, “Exactly. Do you understand better what that means now?”

“I think I do.”

“Just as Sacacon is doing, you would be wise to advance education and democracy.”

“I am an elected king, you know.”

“Elected and coroneted for life by an oligarchy of nobility, but there are no political parties or bodies of legislation to speak for the people—the same people who have shown courage and patriotism. Don’t you think they deserve a voice in their government?”

“It is hard to give up power.”

“Yet, you know it is the wise choice. If you institute a representative government, you can shape it and your people will love you even more.”

“I understand. There are times of change, and the wise leader recognizes the time and changes, too. It is better to ride the crest of the times than to be stuck in the slough of the passing wave.”

“What would be your first step?”

“I will speak to my cabinet and let them discuss the type of government we should move toward.”

“You are a clever leader, King Vingki.”

“Now, you tell me. What assurances do I have that Saca will back us thoroughly?”

“They are unloading advanced fighter planes for your air force at this very moment. Kunwyz’s fleet is off your southern shore and has launched bombers to Ladimeer. Saca’s fleet will be stationed off Polimeer Island, whose forces will also be reinforced with more advanced equipment. If you permit it, Saca will station a bomber fleet to attack our mutual enemies.”

“Yes, I will permit it.”

Out of his valise, Mawgri pulled a yellow envelope and handed it to King Vingki. “From Sacacon. It should seal the deal.”

The king opened the envelope, pulled out two pages of writing, unfolded and skimmed them. When he had finished, he refolded the letter and returned it to the envelope. He looked up and smiled. “Yes, that will do nicely.”

“May I ask a question about religion in your nation?” I asked.

The king set aside the envelope and said, “Yes, what is it?”

“Do you have a state religion?”

“No, we don’t. We have free religious choice.”

“Do you have believers in Kandizam?”

“Some, but they are a minority. In fact, I couldn’t tell you which sect has the most followers. Most of my subjects believe in all the old gods.”

“And you personally?”

“Since you asked, let me give you a book.” He reached behind him and came up with a thin book. “Its title is Aligning Your Spiritual Reality by Konat Dampur. It’s in Putkeen, but I understand you are learning the language.” He handed me the book, and I took it. “I like Dampur’s ideas, and try to apply them. He is still alive. I suppose he would be called a philosopher rather than a religious teacher, but his ideas are powerful and well stated.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty.”

Mawgri stood and bowed, and I followed his lead. He said, “We know you are busy, Your Majesty, so we will go now. Thank you for the audience.”

The king nodded and said, “Thank you, Za Mawgri. Za Malcolm, perhaps we can discuss your civilization after peace has settled. I would like to know more about it.”

I said, “I understand, Your Majesty. It was an honor meeting you.”

* * * *

Luvark, Mawgri and I did not return immediately to our ship. Instead, Mawgri had our driver take us to the mountain range that separates Sobimeer from Cosimeer. He said,” There is a spectacular sight that you should see before we leave.” All along the route were squads of soldiers checking vehicles and demanding papers, so we were obliged to stop several times.

Mawgri had us taken up the dark-pined mountain to a point from which we could view the wishbone canyon with its magical feathery cascades falling from the granite sides of the mountains into a deep blue mirror lake whose near side was enclosed by a massive dam and hydroelectric plant. From the plant, a river, after driving the turbines, poured forth, flowing down into the lowlands of Sobimeer. The sounds were impressive, too: the splashing of the falling water, the humming of the whirring dynamos, and dominating all the rushing and roaring of the river plummeting from the dam into frothing rapids below. A fine mist of water hovered.

“Wow,” I shouted over the noise, “very impressive. I didn’t realize that King Vingki had such technology.”

Mawgri put a hand on my shoulder. “He doesn’t. This project was designed and built by Kunwyz engineers. They are the masters of hydroelectric power. Sobimeer and Cosimeer supplied the labor force. Cosimeer buys electricity from Sobimeer. The water, besides providing energy, irrigates the fertile land below.”

“I see another reason Radimeer wants this land and why Saca and Kunwyz don’t want him to have it.”

“Yes, the emperor’s minions could run a massive armaments industry with this power, and he would be even more powerful than he is with his coal and oil plants.”

By then, we were all getting hungry, so Mawgri bought us dinner at a restaurant on the mountain with a vista of the lake and waterfall. Inside the restaurant, the noise of the water was muted. Soldiers stationed to protect the dam were eating at the restaurant, and it was their murmuring voices that filled the interior; they seemed relaxed, knowing that no armored vehicle could make it up and over the mountains and that the one road was well patrolled. Only a determined group on foot could make it up the mountain, so the Sobimeer military walked the high ridges and watched with binoculars anything moving below them on the Cosimeer side.

We got to know our driver Potal, an illiterate Sobimeen who took great pride in his brown uniform and his status as a driver.

I asked him where he was from. He didn’t have an ATI, so Luvark repeated what he said, and the conversation went something like this.

Potal: [Ah, you wouldn’t know the place. It’s a small town in the lowlands.}

Luvark: It’s a small town in the lowlands.

Potal: [Name of Tishul].

Luvark: Named Tishul.

I: What is the main work there?

Luvark: What kind of work is done there?

Potal: [Farming, herding, spinning].

Luvark: Farming, herding, textiles.

I: Ah, the pastoral life!

Luvark: Sounds like a stress-free, peaceful place.

Potal: [Yes, and we are the home of Huwax].

Luvark: Yes, and Huwax is from there.

I: Who or what is Huwax?

Luvark: He is a famous storyteller of the oral tradition, and his stories have been written down, so all Putkurs can read them.

Potal (to Luvark): [So, you know of him?]

Luvark: Yes, I’ve read a book of his stories.

Potal: [You can read?]

Luvark: Sacacon wants all his people to read. It has become a necessary skill.

I: What is Huwax’s most famous story?

Luvark: The one about the stranger who is different.

Potal (grinning broadly, obviously proud of his hometown’s most famous person): [The story of Baxi . . . you are telling them the story of Baxi?]

Luvark: Shall I tell the story?

Mawgri: Please, I haven’t heard it.

Luvark: One day a religious, childless widow finds a naked boy baby floating in a stream. She retrieves the baby, wraps him up warmly and takes him home, thinking he is a gift from the gods. There is one problem with the child. He has no scales, so the woman is worried because the community will think the child is very ugly and handicapped. She names the baby Baxi, which means “no scales.” Until Baxi is five, she keeps him near home, so the neighbors won’t abuse him. Nevertheless, the other children make fun of him and call him ugly.

By five he is very strong and athletic for his age, so the widow asks a famous teacher to come and teach him to shoot a bow and arrow, to throw a spear, and to use a knife. He learns very rapidly and is soon able to hunt and help the widow with her crops, so the widow prospers. In fact, as he grows into a young man, he becomes the champion in all the warrior and hunter skills, so finally he is accepted by all the Putkurs.

That is why Putkurs accept all intelligent life; just because one is different doesn’t mean he or she has no value.

(Here Mawgri squeezed my thigh under the table.)

Another day he meets a bashi in the forest and the bashi asks who he is. He says “I am Baxi,” and the bashi says, “You are like us; you have no scales, but you know how to shoot arrows, throw spears and handle knives. How did you learn?”

Baxi says, “The Putkurs taught me, but I promised not to reveal the secret. However, let me say this: Stay away from the Putkurs because they can all shoot arrows and throw spears. Do that and you will be safe.”

And that is why bashis avoid Putkurs.

Potal: [Yes, yes, that is the story.]


Mawgri disappeared into the souvenir shop and returned with three packages. He gave one to Potal and said, “Here is the book The Tale of Baxi and Other Stories by Huwax. The next time I am in Sobimeer I will ask for a driver that reads. I hope it is you.”

“[Thank you, Za Mawgri. I will learn to read at once.]”

He gave me a similar package and said, “For your growing library of Putkur writings.”

For Luvark, who had already read the stories of Huwax, he presented a photographic book of the scenic area: shots of the mountains, the forest, the waterfalls, the lake, the dam and the river—all with captions.

“Thank you, Za Mawgri, you are too kind.”

“For your devotion, this is a small thing.”

Then Potal drove us to our ship and said farewell.

In my room I found another package; this one from Aldeman. I opened it and inside with a note was a copy of his treatise The Rights of All Putkurs. The note said simply, “[In hope for a better future, I give you a copy of what we are fighting for.]”

I was gaining quite a library. Besides the Log of Captain Christopher Hennessey of the Golden Hind, I had, in Putkeen, The Words of Kandi, Aligning Your Spiritual Reality by Konat Dampur, The Tale of Baxi and Other Stories by Huwax, and The Rights of All Putkurs by Aldeman. If I ever got back to earth, they would make a nice collection to demonstrate the culture and civilization of Putkwyz.

That evening I read the stories of Huwax because they were the lightest reading and would be the easiest for me to understand. I fell asleep with the book on my chest.

End of Chapter 14

Malcolm is making progress by learning about the cultures of Putkwyz and their slow but steady progress toward democratic governments.

Below are items related to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment