Sunday, January 2, 2011

One True Love 2



I


The wind can blow my mind away

Into the pain of reflection,

And each mote

Is a memory

That I cannot brush

From my face.

Each drop will not evaporate

From recollection.

I turn my face,

Only to have the wind

Whisper in my ears

And lash my face

With my own hair

And moan,

“Remember,

Remember,

Remember . . . .”

 
"I"("The wind can blow my mind away") was first published in the self-published booklet Memento, 1976.  It is a free verse poem reflective of the persona's devastation at the loss of his one true love.  I knew that I would never love anyone else in the same way with a commitment to raising a family; I was also aware that since my children had been taken 3,000 miles away, I would not have a parent-child relationship with them.

The drawings are original and went with each poem in Memento.  They were originally drawn by hand, but I have replicated them on the computer and some have changed slightly.
 
One of my favorite books of free verse love poetry is This Is My Beloved by Walter Benton.
 
Below are items related to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment