Monday, January 10, 2011

One true love 5



II


Memory is everywhere

And no constant vigilance

Can allay it.

There is no early-warning system

That can keep

Wronged heads from rolling by

Or the yellow matter,

Lined or what,

From spewing from the sky.



I remember how it was

When I turned your heart with a smile

And opened the door to pain and torment.

Your frown etches its way

Down my forehead.

"II, Memory Is Everywhere" was first published in Memento, 1976.  It is a free verse poem whose persona expresses his inability to forget his "one true love."  In fact, one reason I quit my full-time position and moved to another city was to get away from everything that reminded me of the "one true love" that I had lost.

Below are items related to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment