Wednesday, January 5, 2011

One True Love 3



1

There are girls I have possessed –

Frightened as they were,

But yielding finally.


There are girls I satisfied –

Hungry for closeness

And affection.


There are girls I befriended

Needing as they did

A hard-time helper.


But when I got together

With you, woman,

Two halves made a whole.


"1"("There are girls I have possessed") was first published in the self-published booklet Two Wholes Make It Total, 1978.  As with Memento, the drawings were originally hand drawn and have been  replicated for the computer, so some have changed slightly. The persona is reflecting on the immature relationships that he had had in the past and how the new relationship was fulfilling in that it demanded honesty, sincerity and integrity.
 
The subject of these poems had just gone through a breakup just as I had, and we came together and helped each other reassess who we were and where we were going.
 
Loss has finally been replaced with something else that is special: knowledge of self and purpose.

Below are some items related to thid blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment